Basilisk is an Enemy in Dark Souls.
Basilisks are creatures known for their ability to run upon water, but the only water these creatures encounter are the infested grime of the sewers. Their oversized eyes are their trademark feature; interestingly, however, these are not their actual eyes, which are in fact miniscule, as illustrated on the right.
They aren't very dangerous when fought alone, but combat can be tricky when in group. Deals very low damage, and only during their jump attack, but they can spit a fog that can curse you when you stay inside it. When killed, there is a very small chance that they'll drop Eyes of Death that can be used to rank up in the Gravelord Servant Covenant.
- Jumping Attack: At medium range, they'll jump in your direction like a frog. The jump deals minimal damage, but they also release a curse mist during the jump which can not be blocked.
- Fog Spew: They spew a fog of mist that can curse you if you stay in it for too long. The curse mist can be blocked as long as you stay in front of them.
- Basilisks have very low HP, so a couple of swings will generally be enough to kill them. When in large numbers, just be careful to not be cornered or surrounded as you could be cursed very easily (especially in The Depths in the first playthrough). You can also fight them at range, using firebombs, a bow or a spell in order to not get caught in their fog. Alternatively, pyromancer can one-shot them using fireballs, as they are very vulnerable to fire. Only the Sanctus and the Greatshield of Artorias have a 100% damage reduction against curse. For starting characters, wooden shields like the Cracked Round Shield and East-West Shield also have high block rates, but the Crystal Shield sold by Domhnall has none.
- It is extremely important you avoid staying in the mist they generate, as it applies the curse status if you stay in it too long. Stay back while they do their ground-based mist spray as they'll generally run out from the mist moment later making them open to an attack. They are weak and slow, but are huge trouble in numbers. Avoid getting cornered by them if you can. The best equipment to wear for fighting Basilisks are armors with high curse resistance such as the Crimson Robes, the Dingy Robes, or the Antiquated Dress. Also the cursebite ring works very well as it allows prolonged exposure to the mist. It is recommended to two hand your weapon so it is easier to hit them for their jump attack. Their breath attack is actually very slow and a perfect time to attack from behind or side. As soon as you see them start to puff up, do not be fooled if small streams of curse fog breathe out, you can still kill it to avoid it making one entirely, Alternatively, start strafing and attach from side which will leave you well outside the area of the curse mist.
A high humanity count will also increase your curse resistance.
- Eyes of Death (Rare)
- In the un-patched version of the game their curse would stack, so you could be cursed 3 times in a row and end up with 1/8th of your total health.