The Black Knights are Mini Bosses in Dark Souls.
The Black Knights Information
The Once proud Silver Knights of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, now roam around Lordan wielding powerful weapons, the Black Knight Shield and the Black Knight Set. It is said that these knights were burnt black in their fight with Chaos Demons, and this caused them to have high Fire resistance. Few even traveled with Gwyn to the Kiln of the First Flame, and then burnt away when he linked the First Flame, leaving behind just their spirits that wander the staircases around.
The Black Knights are found in various locations around Lordan, often as non-respawning enemies except for at the Kiln of the First Flame. The various locations are:
- Undead Burg: Guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring. This Knight wields the Black Knight Sword. (HP: 497, Souls: 800)
- Undead Parish: On top of a tower by the locked gate. He wields the Black Knight Greatsword. (HP: 532, Souls: 800)
- Darkroot Basin: Near the Grass Crest Shield. He is wielding the Black Knight Halberd. (HP: 603, Souls: 1,800)
- The Catacombs: Inside a pit reached through a breakable floor, just before the last Necromancer. He is wielding the Black Knight Greataxe. (HP: 710, Souls: 1,200)
- Undead Asylum: There are 2 when revisiting. One is guarding the Peculiar Doll and the other is found at the end of the hallway where the second bonfire is found. They are both wielding the Black Knight Sword. (HP: 745, Souls: 1,200)
- Tomb of Giants: Close to the second bonfire, guarding the Effigy Shield. This knight wields the Black Knight Halberd. (HP: 887, Souls: 1,200)
- Kiln of the First Flame: Five are found wandering on the staircase which leads down to the Kiln. They are each wielding one of the Black Knight weapons. (HP: 958, Souls: 2,000)
- 800-2,000 Souls (depending on location)
- White Titanite Chunk (Catacombs & Tomb of the Giants)
- Titanite Chunk (Undead Burg,Undead Parish & Kiln of the First Flame)
- Red Titanite Chunk (Kiln of the First Flame)
- Blue Titanite Chunk (Darkroot Basin & Kiln of the First Flame)
- Black Knight Halberd (20%)
- Black Knight Greataxe (20%)
- Black Knight Greatsword (20%)
- Black Knight Sword (20%)
- Black Knight Shield (5%)
- Stabs / Running Stabs
- Triple Slash Combos
- Heavy Slashes
- Shield Bash
- 4 Hit Combos combo
- Spinning underhands
- Running stab / thrust
- Uppercut /thrust
- Forward Thrust
- Shield Bash
- Single /Double / Running thrusts
- Spinning Slash
- Sweep combo
- Shield Bash
- Jumping attack
- Double / Triple Chop Combo
- Jumping Attack
- Overhead Slashes
- Running thrusts
- Shield Bash
Black Knights have high poise and can deal huge amounts of damage if you simply try to fight them head-on. The best way to deal with them is through Backstabs and Parries as their recover post-attack is relatively slow, making them especially susceptible to such attacks.
The attacks are often predictable so hitting the Parry button as soon as you see their hands move and then following up with a Riposte is a very effective and satisfying way of defeating these Knights. Every attack except for the Shield Bash can be parried.
WATCH OUT for the shield bashes as they can take away A LOT of your stamina and are often followed by a heavy attack or combo. The knights are also most vulnerable right after having completed a combo attack, allowing you to sneak up behind them and perform a Backstab.
- It is often easier to run them off a ledge or bridge than to fight them, especially at lower levels. You still get the drops even if they die by falling off. So just let Gravity do the work for you.
- Ranged attacks are usually the safest way to deal with these knights. Position yourself where they cannot reach you and then unload into them with your bows or firebombs.
- If you are rocking a heavy build, you should keep your distance as outmaneuvering the knights if not an option for you. Stay at the edge of the Knight's range and strike in between attacks, patiently taking away a bit of the Knight's health with each opportunity.