Equip Load, also known as equip burden, is a game mechanic that controls how much weight your character can equip, versus your movement speed.
Equipped consumable items, ammunition and spells will not contribute to equip weight.
The Endurance stat governs the amount of Equip Load, it also increases all the way to 99 Endurance with no diminishing returns.
Equip Load can be further increased by utilizing some items.
- Havel's Ring increases max equip load by 50%.
- Ring of Favor and Protection increases max equip load by 20%.
- Mask of the Father increases max equip load by 5%.
The items stack, for a total of 89% increase to equip load when all three are worn.
The roll and run speed of the player will vary with the amount of equipped weight.
- Equip Weight above 100% of total Equip Load leaves the player unable to roll and run.
- Trying to roll or backstep at this weight will stun the character.
- Equip weight above 50% and up to 100% of Equip Load gives slow movement, and causes the player to 'fat roll'.
- Equip weight above 25% and up to 50% of Equip Load gives medium movement.
- There are also two different speeds to medium rolls, above and below 37.5%.
- Equip weight equal to and below 25% of Equip Load gives fast movement.
Your Encumbrance Level (0%, 25%, and 50%) and armor also affects the speed of your stamina regeneration. With higher Encumbrance Levels, your stamina regeneration is reduced.
- Regardless of weapons or armor, regeneration is reduced at >50% and >100% encumbrance. With no other affecting items, regeneration is:
- At 50-100%: -20% from normal
- At >100%: -30.5% from normal
- Heavy armor like Havel's Set, Smough's Set, and Stone Knight Set impede stamina regeneration at all encumbrance levels to some degree.
- At 0-25%: -10.5% from normal
- At 25-50%: -10.5% from normal
- At 50-100%: -28.5% from normal
- At >100%: -36.5% from normal
- Some armors like the Steel Set also affect stamina regeneration at all encumbrance levels, but slightly less so than the heavy armors.
- At 0-25%: -9.5% from normal
- At 25-50%: -9.5% from normal
- At 50-100%: -27.5% from normal
- Other armors (mostly light, but also medium like Silver Knight Set) do not reduce regeneration themselves. Regeneration is still reduced like normal at >50% and >100% encumbrance.
- Patch 1.05 increased the base equip burden by 6 points. Giving exactly 80 at 40 endurance. The patch also changed how the different burden loads were calculated. Before when your equip weight ≥ 25%/50%/100% then you would hit the next burden level, now it is equip weight > 25%/50%/100% that you hit the next bracket. Which is more logical and likely a typo in the original code. There's still a few instances where your equip weight is exactly on the break point, but will still give the movement of the weight class above; this is probably due to some decimal rounding error in the code.
- Patch 1.06 decreased the percentage of Mask of the Father from 15 to 5%. It also changed the Dark Wood Grain Ring to only function below 25% equip weight.