Knight Lautrec is a Character in Dark Souls
- First found in the Undead Parish, locked up in a prison cell. To find him, go up the stairs to the right of the elevator. You'll encounter an Balder Knight, then a room full of Hollows and a Channeler. In the left corner from where you entered, there's another passage with another Balder Knight. At the top of this passage is a broken door. Break the door to reveal the room containing Lautrec. Free him, and he'll give you a Sunlight Medal as a reward once you get back to Firelink Shrine and speak to him.
- The Mystery Key unlocks the cell, and can be found in the Undead Parish on a corpse. The Master Key can also be used.
- If you choose not to free him, he will find his own way out after you beat the Bell Gargoyle boss. He will not offer you a Sunlight Medal, nor can he be summoned as a phantom for the boss-fight.
- Once you have finished the Undead Parish, go back to Firelink Shrine and you’ll find Lautrec sitting on the ground in front of Anastacia’s cave, fire keeper of Firelink Shrine.
- If Lautrec is still at Firelink after Reah has departed for the Catacombs, and Petrus has returned, he will offer you a 'tip' for your soul level x100 souls. (e.g. SL33=3300 for the tip). The 'tip' is that Reah's companions fled or turned hollow, and she is now alone in the Catacombs. In Lautrecs own devious words, "A nubile cleric would be replete with humanity. *laughter*". After buying this tip, he says he got it from a 'fleeing old man', and that 'all his trinkets and robes won't help him now'.
- Lautrec will stay in Firelink Shrine until you have either rung both bells, or taken the Fire Keeper Souls from the Undead Parish and Blighttown, whichever occurs first. Once you have done either of the above, he will kill Anastacia and disappear (regardless if he was freed from his cell or not). However, that is not the end. When you return to firelink, check Anastacia’s cave to find her dead body and some items. Amongst the items is a Black Eye Orb which you can use to find Lautrec again, and reclaim Anastacia’s stolen soul.
- It is possible, perhaps even recommended, to kill him when you first free him. He won't drop his armour, but will drop 5 Humanity, 1000 souls and Ring of Favor and Protection, a very powerful ring that is useful the entire game. He is not too hard to kill; he moves slowly and when he rolls he leaves himself wide open to a backstab. Additionally he has no shield. Watch out for his power attack though, it ignores your shield. An extremely easy way to kill him at Firelink is to approach him where he sits, and kick him. He will be knocked backwards onto the edge but will not immediately turn aggressive. A second kick will propel him off the side to his death. Quit and reload and the 5 humanity and ring will be sitting there.
- Killing him early will end this sidequest, and you will miss your chance to obtain both his and Anastacia's armor sets.
- Once rescued, Lautrec can be summoned to assist in the Bell Gargoyle fight. His summon sign can be found on a ledge across from the ladder below the fog gate to the Bell Gargoyle. NOTE: In order for his summon sign to appear, you will have to rescue Lautrec, then return to Firelink and accept his reward which is a Sunlight Medal, then return and you will find his summon sign on the ledge. Also don't forget to be in Human form.
- You can summon Phantom Knight Lautrec in The Depths to help you fight the Gaping Dragon. His summon sign can be found on the opposite side of the pillar where Knight Solaire's summon sign is (just above the the boss fog gate).
- Note: Invading Lautrec is the same as invading another player. You cannot use Estus flasks to heal yourself, so be prepared!
- After obtaining the Black Eye Orb from Anastacia's body, proceed to Anor Londo. When you reach Anor Londo, make your way through the area to the boss fight with Ornstein and Smough. In the large room just outside the room where that fight takes place, the Black Eye Orb will begin to vibrate. That is your hint on how to find Lautrec. Once you have cleared that room of the enemy so that it is safe, use the Black Eye Orb to invade Lautrec’s realm. When you do, you’ll face Lautrec and two of his comrades in a fierce battle. If you have poisoned arrows you can kill all 3 poisoning them from the point where you appeared, just shoot them and watch their health go down. All you need do is defeat Lautrec himself to win, but killing the other two will grant additional souls. Be careful, as Lautrec's shotels heavy attacks ignore your shield and must be evaded. Defeating him will grant you 5 Humanity, Ring of Favor and Protection, Anastacia's Fire Keeper Soul, as well as a Souvenir of Reprisal, an item ordinarily only obtained by members of Blade of the Dark Moon.
- After you have killed Lautrec, you can either return to Firelink Shrine and visit Anastacia’s cave to return her soul, which will bring her back to life and re-enable the Bonfire of Firelink Shrine. Or you can use her Fire Keeper Soul to upgrade your Estus flask at one of the other Firekeepers. Be careful that using the soul to upgrade the flask or other reasons will result in the impossibility to revive the firelink shrine firekeeper and bonfire.
- After defeating him you can find his corpse, outside the chamber of the princess in Anor Londo, containing his entire suit of armor.
- Killing him without following the above will only grant you the Ring of Favor And Protection and 5 Humanity, you will not be able to obtain his or Anastacia's armor.
- His two companions in Anor Londo are one of the three sealers of New Londo and an NPC wearing Soldier Armor (without helmet) and wields a Wooden Shield and Spear (regular spear).
- Using the Dark Hand's R2 move, you can steal 8 Humanity
- 5 pieces of Humanity
- Ring of Favor and Protection
- 5 pieces of Humanity
- Ring of Favor and Protection
- Anastacia's Fire Keeper Soul
- Souvenir of Reprisal
- Additionally, his armor set can be found on a balcony overlooking the Ornstein and Smough boss arena.
- Armor: Favor set
- Left Hand: Shotel and Parrying Dagger
- Right Hand: Shotel
- Rings: Red Tearstone Ring and Ring of Favor and Protection
- Spells: none
- Special: none
- If you kill Quelaag and ring her bell or collect the two firekeeper souls before killing the Gargoyles, in addition to not be in his jail anymore, he will kill the firekeeper Anastacia without being a friendly NPC located at firelink shrine.
| Alvina of the Darkroot Wood | | Anastacia of Astora | | Big Hat Logan | | Blacksmith Andre | | Blacksmith Rickert of Vinheim | | Blacksmith Vamos | | Crestfallen Merchant | | Crestfallen Warrior | | Crossbreed Priscilla | | Darkmoon Knightess | | Darkstalker Kaathe | | Daughter of Chaos | | Domhnall of Zena | | Dusk of Oolacile | | Eingyi | | Elizabeth | | Giant Blacksmith | | Griggs of Vinheim | | Hawkeye Gough | | Ingward | | Kingseeker Frampt | | Laurentius of the Great Swamp | | Lord's Blade Ciaran | | Marvelous Chester | | Nico of Thorolund | | Oswald of Carim | | Patches the Hyena | | Petrus of Thorolund | | Quelana of Izalith | | Reah of Thorolund | | Shiva of the East | | Sieglinde of Catarina | | Siegmeyer of Catarina | | Snuggly | | Solaire of Astora | | Undead Merchant | | Vince of Thorolund |