Monsters head resembling a treasure chest. Once an ancient god, it is said this is the symbol of shame imposed on a long lost clan, exiled for the sin of avarice.
Wearing this slightly raises soul absorbtion and item discovery, but also affects its wearer with the curse of the branded.
A Treasure Chest-shaped helmet. Increases the rate of souls received from enemies, and increases item discovery rate in a similar manner to the Covetous Serpent Rings. However, it constantly drains health at a significant rate.
- 200 points increase to Item Discovery.
- 20% increase to souls received from fallen enemies.
- Stacks with Covetous Silver Serpent Ring: combined total bonus is +44%.
- Depletes 5 HP per second.
- High penalty to stamina recovery.
- This item can not be upgraded.
- Rare drop from Mimics. They do not respawn, which makes it hard to find one.
- The droprate was increased heavily in patch 1.05
- The Lloyd's Talisman can be used to subdue Mimics, at which point there is a small chance the Symbol of Avarice can be seen as an item drop in its mouth. If the item isn't seen, hit the mimic with a weak weapon (e.g. bare fist) and use the Lloyd's Talisman again. This may require many attempts, but it is a legitimate way of acquiring this helm that doesn't involve needing to defeat the limited number of mimics found in each game.
- As of Patch 1.05, the drop seems to be guaranteed over a playthrough. What this means is that the Symbol of Avarice will definitely be acquired if all 6 mimics are killed (i.e. it will drop from one of them). It seems to be guaranteed drop from whichever mimic is killed last in the game.
- Since patch 1.05, while the droprate has been heavily increased, there is still no guarantee of obtaining a Symbol of Avarice during your playthrough. ((For me it dropped from mimic that is located in Anor Londo behind the Guards on the left while leaving AL bonfire room (warpable bonfire). It was the last mimic I've killed in game, note that AL was dark, because of killing princess but I think it doesn't matter. I'm going next playthrough (new character) and gonna check this again.))
- It is possible to get more than 1 Symbol of Avarice in a single playthrough. I used the lloyds talisman trick to get one from my first mimic. The very next mimic dropped a second one. Played on PTDE.