|Curse is a status effect (with a build-up bar similar to poison and bleed effects) that instantly kills the player when filled. As they die, their corpse slowly becomes petrified.|
Curse is a gameplay mechanic in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. It is a debuff status effect and one of the auxiliary special effect and a damage type.
General Information for Curse:
- Allow the players to damage Ghosts without using a Transient Curse and block attacks from ghosts when using two-handed or left-handed cursed weapon.
- Curse is a status effect (with a build-up bar similar to poison and bleed effects) that instantly kills the player when filled. As they die, their corpse slowly becomes petrified.
Benefits of being Cursed
The player is able to hit ghosts, in New Londo Ruins, while being Cursed. Note that this can also be done with the Transient Curse item.
Effects of being Cursed
- A skull will replace the Humanity counter on the HUD.
- Unlike other status effects, players remain Cursed even after reviving.
- While being Cursed, players' health points will be reduced by 50%.
- Curse won't stack: being cursed again will kill the player, but health points will remain at 50% (patch 1.05).
- Players can still collect Humanity, but Reversing hollow effect and Kindling at Bonfires will be unavailable.
- Cursed players can be summoned as a Phantom, but can't summon or be invaded since they cannot revive.
- Getting Cursed while playing as a phantom in another world will not curse the phantom, but it will kill them.
- The most common way to remove the curse status is by using a Purging Stone.
- Purging Stones can be purchased from Oswald of Carim in the Gargoyle Belltower for 3,000 souls or from The Undead Merchant (female) in the aqueduct between Firelink Shrine and The Depths for 6,000 souls.
- Ingward, who resides in New Londo Ruins, will cure the players Curse for a fee of 1 humanity, but getting to him can be a pain.
- Some enemies, such as the clam shells in Ash Lake and Crystal Cave, can also drop Purging Stones.
- Snuggly gives you 2 Purging Stones for 1 Cracked Red Eye Orb. You can obtain 4 Cracked Red Eye Orbs from Firelink Shrine. Instead of riding the elevator up to Undead Parish, simply fall down the shaft and it'll be located in one of the chests.
- If you are cursed and have not yet rung the bell in the Undead Parish, Snuggly represents your easiest method of reversing the curse.
- The player's Curse Resistance will increase with the amount of Humanity held, softcap at 10 and hardcap at 30.
- The Bloodshield and Cursebite Ring will increase the players Curse Resistance.
- Wearing armor with high curse resistance such as the Dingy Set, Antiquated Set or Paladin armor.
- The Resist Curse spell will remove the curse buildup, but some curse resistance is still needed to use it effectively.
- Wearing the Rare ring of Sacrifice will prevent players from becoming cursed after death.
- The Sanctus shield and the Greatshield of Artorias both have 100% curse reduction, but some attacks have AoE/mist properties which cannot be blocked.
Weapons, Items with Auxiliary Effect, Curse:
- Transient Curse
More Defense against Curse:
- Light Armors
- Antiquated Set
- Dingy Set
- Lord's Blade Set
- Antiquated Set
- Maiden's Set
- Big Hat's Set
- Pyromancer Set
- Great Lord Set
- Black Set
- Black Sorcerer Set
- Gwyndolin Moonlight Set
- Hollow Theif Set
- Chester's Set
- Crimson Set
- Witch Set
- Xanthous Set
- Medium Armors
- Paladin Set
- Adventurer's Set
- Artorias' Set
- Elite Knight Set
- Ornstein's Set
- Favor Set
- Painting Guardian Set
- Silver Knight Set
- Brass Set
- Crystalline Set
- Iron Set
- Dark Set
- Heavy armor sets
- Havel's Set
- Black Iron Set
- Smough's Set
- Greatshield of Artorias
- Sanctus Shield
- Light Armors
Enemies who can Curse:
- Basilisk in the lower level of the Depths.
- Basilisk in The Great Hollow.
- Seath the Scaleless in both The Duke's Archives and Crystal Cave.
- If the game is played online, you can see other players' bodies that have been cursed in the same location.
- Curse was a stacking effect prior to Patch 1.05. The first Curse reduced your health to 1/2, the second to 1/4, and finally the third to 1/8.
- If a phantom gets cursed in a host's world, the curse does not carry over to the phantom's world.
Bleed ♦ Divine ♦ Fire Damage ♦ Lightning Damage ♦ Magic Damage ♦ Occult ♦ Physical Damage ♦ Poison ♦ Slash damage ♦ Strike Damage ♦ Thrust Damage ♦ Toxic
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
literally the worst thing ever
I want to know who on the fromsoft team decided that this was a good ****ing idea
I think i would have more enjoyment not being able to pleasure myself for my entire life then ever have this status effect again
first souls game after elden ring...i let a basilisk kill me in the Depths because i thought i had nothing to lose. instant regret
If all they did in this remaster was remove the curse effect it would be a quality remaster
Does curse transfer over when you are summoned as a phantom?
I'm cursed, so might as well make the best of it and help out people running New Londo Ruins if it does transfer over lol
I think we can all agree that this mechanic should burn in the 7th circle of the abyss. Whoever designed this was probably high on green blossom.
eat make candy crystal tasty
This mechanic is straight up ****ing stupid
the FaP ring doesn't get it's health boost cut by Curses
Hello all! Currently there roughly only 3 Armors listed with Curse Resistance I will be listing ALL Armors that have Curse resistance, however I do not know how to link pages through the Phone to said proper page. If a member were to know how to link pages, when I am finished I would greatly appreciate it!
With the cursebite ring, sealer set, bloodshield, and crown of the dark sun, curse ceases to exist as a threat since the only enemies that do it suck at any other damage
The curse status in 1.0 actually stacked four times, not three. Just verified it. The fourth level of curse reduces the player's health total down to 1/16th of the original value.
I would rather be impotent for a year than having to deal with this.
I hated Frenzy in Bloodborne, but atleast it isn't as bull**** as it's predecessor.
do the curse weapons (ghost blade, etc) curse enemy players in pvp?
I got cursed as Phantom. Back in my world I was cursed. Probably a cheater. Didn't see, how he killed us. Dark Saitama was his name. Right before the Gargoyles... Curse him.
Just shutdown your ps3 the instant you are cursed and you won't be when you reload
Kill those stupid Basilisks with fire... ... No, I'm serious. Throw fire at them; they hate it.
I wonder if the curse status is supposed to be a more potent version of the curse of the undeath that is ironically easier to be rid of(within the first games era anyway)... because the body instantly turns to stone(actually fast acting decomposing?), and then bars you from accessing your humanity for kindling and turning human, and it literally makes you lose half health due to extreme decay(which incidentally death + the curse status in DS2 also does). Then again, it could also be the undead curse reviving you at a fire at a point just before the full petrification curse took effect, and you needing to rip some of your body off to be mobile again.... ...or is it just a bunch of different curses mashed together in a package of one that petrifies you, one that rips your spirit out of your body(thus allowing you to interact with ghosts + half HP if you view it as like being in soul form in demon's souls), and one that makes all humanity trapped in your body and inaccessable until you can lift the curse (thus reclaim your old shell when it is revived by the curse of the undead proper)?
How can I increase my curse bar It is very short and get killed very easily everytime
forgot that curse gives 1/2 hp. still managed to get through blighttown dying only twice. blighttown is so easy, the depths are just a sprinkling of bs though.
I had to go through most of Depths and all of Blighttown with the damn curse, it was not fun.
too bad there isn'a weapon that can curse players
i hate the dephts
The aoe crystal ground attack from crystal golems can curse, too.
Of course I finally get cursed in the freakin depths of blight town. Lord have mercy as I try to escape...
I wish the curses were replaced by a more intense from of poison like disease or something.
I hate the Basilisk, I did not know they did this. I hate the depths.
curse without the capitalized C, good job...
Same as the guy below me, thankfully i was only to the undead burg bonfire. Just starting again offline till this mess gets sorted hopefully.
I am new player and some asshole just came into my world, lit me up like a fucking bonfire, gave me like 60 humanity in the space of a few seconds while i was unable to move and then i instantly died and re spawned with half health and this curse bullshit. very nice mechanic when other players can give it to you, very nice indeed.
somebody ring the stupid mechanic bell
Never mind, gonna Murder some ghosts
Oswald of Carim sells them for 4,000 pre patch