Solaire of Astora is a character who appears in Dark Souls. He is an exceptionally skilled warrior who purposefully became Undead so he could visit Lordran in his quest to find a sun of his own. He has become a fan favourite among the Dark Souls community due to his jovial attitude and memorable dialogue, and speculation previously lead some to believe he was Lord Gwyn's firstborn, the God of War who lost his deific status. Depending on the player's actions in Lost Izalith, Solaire will either be available for help as a summon against the final boss, or his descent into madness and despair will force the player to kill him.
The player first meets him after defeating the Taurus Demon in Undead Burg; after exiting the tower, before turning left and running across the bridge where the Hellkite Dragon lurks, instead turn right to find him gazing at the sun; he is immediately distinguishable by the painted sun emblem across his chest, his green pauldrons, and his red feather.
- On the ramparts of the Undead Burg, right after defeating the Taurus Demon but before crossing the bridge to the Undead Parish.
- The player receives the White Sign Soapstone, an important online item which is used to enter another player's world as a friendly white phantom in an effort to help them defeat the area boss.
- In Anor Londo, after crossing the buttress and getting past the Dragonslayer Silver Knight archers, Solaire can be found sitting in the room on the left, next to the Bonfire.
- Beside the Sunlight Altar Bonfire in the Undead Parish.
- After defeating the Centipede Demon, Solaire appears at the nearby Bonfire on the borders of Lost Izalith.
- On the bridge to Lost Izalith, between the only respawning Titanite Demon and the Chaos Servant door to Demon Ruins
- Solaire can survive this encounter if the player joins the Daughter of Chaos covenant first, and gives Quelaag's Sister 30 Humanity to open this door from the Demon Ruin's side. After it is open, kill all nine Sunlight Maggots and proceed to defeat the The Bed of Chaos. If he survives this, he can be found in the hallway, depressed, and available for summoning against the final boss. (you may only have to kill the chaos bug that drops the sunlight maggot in order for Solaire to maintain his sanity, or what is left of it)
- It is possible to do so without joining the Chaos Servant Covenant, however. Doing so requires a Pyromancy Flame and the Poison Mist pyromancy, which can be found on a corpse in the Blighttown swamp. White Dragon Breath will work as well. Make your way to the shortcut door, and cast Poison Mist into the center of the door. It works best if you move yourself as close to the door as possible. Cast Poison Mist until you infect a mob on the other side, the target is aligned with the centre of the door. This mob is none other than the red eyed Chaos Bug that will drop the Sunlight Maggot. Once the Chaos Bug dies, you can continue on your way through to the Firesage Demon and the rest of Lost Izalith. If you find Solaire near the bonfire after killing the Centipede Demon, he will again appear near the Lost Izalith side of the shortcut door. If you killed the Sunlight Maggot before reaching this point, he will become summonable just before the Gwyn fight. A video tutorial on how to do this has been provided below. Although the Poison Mist pyromancy is very effective in damaging through walls, it is possible to kill the Sunlight Maggot through other means. (I had success with Dragon Greatsword's two handed R2 special attack).
- It is also possible to save Solaire by not speaking to him at the Anor Londo bonfire, or at any point before then. Then progress through the game as normal, Solaire will not be at the bonfire after the Centipede demon and will not go insane. Kill the bugs, then return to Solaire and proceed through his quest line. This will not require you to join the Daughter of Chaos covenant, and can be done by any character build.
- Before entering the white fog leading to the Bell Gargoyle bosses.
- Above the last staircase leading to the Gaping Dragon boss.
- In the huge hall before fighting Ornstein and Smough, his summon sign can be found on the stairs to the left.
- Just outside the fog wall leading to the Centipede Demon boss.
- At the top of the stairs leading down to Gwyn, if he survived Lost Izalith.
- You'll first encounter Solaire in the Undead Burg. He is in the area at the opposite end of the bridge on which the Hellkite Wyvern is perched. Talk to him at the bridge and accept his offer in order to get a White Sign Soapstone for MP play. After speaking to him in the Undead Burg, you'll next be able to encounter him in Anor Londo. Once there, talk to him at the Bonfire located in the main building that Gwynevere is located in. You‘ll find him next to the Bonfire on the first floor. This one is optional and won't break his path through the game, but it does affect whether or not he'll be available for the Demon Ruins Boss fight. After leaving Anor Londo, go to the Sunlight Altar, and speak with him there. The Sunlight Altar is located to the right of the Bonfire in the Undead Burg near where you first met Solaire. It's the Bonfire in the small room behind where the Hellkite Dragon was perched. The altar itself is in the area to the right of the Bonfire where the broken statue is located. Go to that area and speak with Solaire.
- If your Faith stat is at level 25 (as of patch 1.05, before was 50), then he'll offer to let you join the Covenant: Warrior of Sunlight. Alternatively, if the value of your Faith + (5 x number of times a Client in MP play) > 25, then he'll offer you the covenant.
- What happens here is going to depend on how you enter Lost Izalith. If you go straight into Lost Izaltih through the regular route which is right after speaking with Solaire after the Centipede Demon fight, then Solaire will become aggressive and you'll fight him near the area where the door to the Chaos Bed Boss fight is located. However, if you instead take the shortcut from Demon Ruins into Lost Izalith then you'll encounter nine Chaos Bugs in the corridor on your way to Lost Izalith. You must kill all nine of them. Do not leave a single one alive, and do not cross into Lost Izalith so that area loads before you have killed all nine of them. If even one is alive and you enter Lost Izalith, then Solaire will find them - so kill them all. If you miss one, then when you come back to the shortcut corridor, you'll find Solaire with one of the bugs attached to his head, and you must kill him. If you kill all nine of them, then return Lost Izalith before returning to the start of the shortcut area you'll find Solaire sitting on the ground just outside the door that you opened with the Daughter of Chaos's Covenant. He'll be depressed, but by talking to him here, you will trigger his final Summon Sign at the end of the game just before the final Boss fight. To find it, as soon as you get off the narrow bridge and arrive at the final spiral staircase, look left to see his Summon Sign.
- You'll find the shortcut to Lost Izalith in Demon Ruins just outside the room where you fought the Demon Firesage boss. As you face that room, look to the right, and you'll see a hole in the wall. Use the tree roots to reach the ground floor and then go to the end of the long hall where you'll find a locked door. The way to unlock that door is to join the Covenant of the Daughter of Chaos, and then level that Covenant to +2 status. That will require 30 Humanity to raise the covenant that high. After you raise the Covenant to +2, then you can touch the locked door and it will open. Now proceed forward and kill the nine Chaos Bugs ahead.
- It is possible to do so without joining the Chaos Servant Covenant, however. Doing so requires a Pyromancy Flame and the Poison Mist pyromancy, which can be found on a corpse in the Blighttown swamp. Make your way to the shortcut door, and cast Poison Mist into the center of the door. It works best if you move yourself as close to the door as possible. Cast Poison Mist until you infect a mob on the other side. This mob is none other than the red eyed Chaos Bug that will drop the Sunlight Maggot. Once the Chaos Bug dies, you can continue on your way through to the Firesage Demon and the rest of Lost Izalith.(for those who are afraid of sitting at a bonfire, don't worry the Sunlight Maggot doesn't re-spawn) If you find Solaire near the bonfire after killing the Centipede Demon, he will again appear near the Lost Izalith side of the shortcut door. If you killed the Sunlight Maggot before reaching this point, he will become summonable just before the Gwyn fight. A video tutorial on how to do this has been provided below.
- It is also possible to save Solaire by not speaking to him at the Anor Londo bonfire, or at any point before then. Then progress through the game as normal, Solaire will not be at the bonfire after the Centipede demon and will not go insane. Kill the bugs, then return to Solaire and proceed through his quest line. This will not require you to join the Daughter of Chaos covenant, and can be done by any character.
- An additional way to save Solaire is, after killing the Centipede Demon, hit Solaire to make him hostile (Don't kill him) and proceed through Lost Izalith normally. NPCs who want to kill you will stay at the spot you hit them and will NOT progress in their storyline. You can proceed through this area and reach the Sunlight Maggot without opening the shortcut. Solaire will not be there. Then you can simply kill the required Chaos-Bug and request absolution from Oswald of Carim. Solaire will not go insane, and his story can proceed normally.
- "I am Solaire of Astora, an adherent to the Lord of Sunlight.
- Now that I am Undead, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lord Gwyn, to seek my very own sun!"
- —Solaire of Astora, upon first meeting the chosen Undead.
- "The way I see it, our fates appear to be intertwined.
- In a land brimming with Hollows, could that really be mere chance?
- So, what do you say? Why not help one another on this lonely journey?"
- —Solaire of Astora, introducing the chosen Undead to summoning.
- "We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
- The flow of time itself is convoluted; with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
- The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
- There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.
- But, use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation!"
- —Solaire of Astora, explaining Lordran to the chosen Undead, and giving him the White Sign Soapstone.
- "Of course, we are not the only ones engaged in this.
- But I am a warrior of the sun! Spot my summon signature easily by its brilliant aura.
- If you miss it, you must be blind!"
- —Solaire of Astora, explaining the mechanics of online summoning and his gold summon sign to the chosen Undead.
- "Oh, hello there. I will stay behind, to gaze at the sun.
- The sun is a wondrous body. Like a magnificent father!
- If only I could be so grossly incandescent!"
- —Solaire of Astora, reflecting on the sun while staring at it in the Undead Burg.
- Killing Solaire will not affect the player's position with the Warrior of Sunlight covenant.
- All of Solaire's dialogue can be listened to.
- It was speculated that Solaire was Lord Gwyn's firstborn because of his obsession of finding his own sun and his incredible durability along with his dialogue. However, this theory has since lost much of its credibility, since a more likely candidate, The Nameless King, is introduced in Dark Souls 3. Solaire is now theorised simply to be the "faithful knight" in service to Gwyn's firstborn along with . This is strengthened by the fact that the Warriors of Sunlight worship the Sun's (Gwyn) firstborn; the exiled god of war. It is also speculated that Solaire's red feather may be an homage to the red plume of Ornstein, a faithful knight to to the leader of the Sunlight Covenant.
- Unlike other Undead characters, Solaire is not a Hollow when he attacks the player in Lost Izalith; his apparent insanity seems to be either induced by the Sunlight Maggot or by his desperation to find his goal resulting in him wearing it.
At Undead Burg/Parish:
- Armor: Iron and Sun Set
- Left Hand: Sunlight Shield
- Right Hand: Sunlight Straight Sword and Sunlight Talisman
- Rings: Orange Charred Ring
- Spells: Lightning Spear and Great Heal
- Special: none