Strong Magic Shield
Strong Magic Shield is a Sorcery in Dark Souls. To cast a sorcery, you must use a Catalyst or Special Weapons that can cast Sorceries.
Sorcery which improves upon Magic Shield. High magic augmentation: left shield.
At Vinheim Dragon School, only magic swordsmen on special orders are allowed to learn this spell which grants temporary strength to greatshields.
- Buff, Support, Shield
- Duration: 15 seconds
- Reinforces the equipped shield or weapon able to block in the left hand with a stronger magic effect. Works on all types of shields (even unique or upgraded to any path) and on all weapons able to block while on the left hand (even unique or upgraded to any path).
- Increases stability of the effected left hand item by 50% which reduces the stamina used to deflect a hit considerably (only on shields) and improves all the resistances of the shield or weapon enchanted to 100%.
- Gives the affected shield or left hand weapon 100% physical resistance and 100% resistance to all damage types for the duration of the spell, making even weapons decent shields provided they have a blocking capability. This includes shield-like items such as the Skull Lantern, and the Dark Hand (the distinctive blue glow will not be visible on the Dark Hand's shield effect, but it is in there). Stamina cost for blocking is not reduced on weapons, and it does not increase the damage of left hand weapons.
- If the stability of the shield ≥100 after the spell is applied all attacks blocked will incur no stamina loss to the player, albeit until the spell runs out. This breakpoint occurs at 67 base stability of the shield.
- Extremely useful against any boss, but particularly those that have OHKO attacks or high burst damage, such as the 4 Kings, Kalameet, Manus, the Sanctuary Guardian, or the Hydras. Even a medium shield with Strong Magic Shield on it can soak all of Manus's dark magic sprays or one of his multi-hit attack combos with ease.
- Very useful in PvP as a counter against common spells/pyromancies such as Pursuers, CSS, Black Flame, or Wrath of the Gods. It can also be paired with a body buff (such as Hidden Body or Power Within) and various other active spell effects such as HCSM/Pursuers or Fall Control. Given the relatively short duration of this spell, it is best to cast it last.
- Can also cause deflection in PvP when blocking melee attacks by other human players.
- Unequipping the shield, or letting the spell run out, cancels this effect. As a consequence, it usually cannot be paired with a weapon buff, as using a focus to cast SMS will extinguish the weapon buff, and vice-versa.
- Does not raise damage when used on a weapon on the left hand.
- Duration increased by Lingering Dragoncrest Ring.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
I don't know why but I just tried this on my Grasscrest and got fcked over by Kalameet breath attack. Either something weird happened to my Grass or it might have been the total stability problem.
Does anyone else remember how this spell was bugged to make you totally invincible on the original patch of the game? Seems odd that this isn't mentioned in this wiki.
This isn't required for the achievement.
This spell allows you to beat Kalameet without using Gough to shoot him. It can block all of his aoe fire even with a weak medium shield like the grass crest or sanctum shield.
15 seconds only?
wait, this spell works on ANY shield? Including boss soul shields? 88 stability strong magic shield enhanced artorias greatshield here I come!
Your catalyst needs to be in the right hand in order to use it as you need to be holding your shield when applying the buff. This means you need to either have a second catalyst in the left hand or awkwardly swap the catalyst to the left hand to use crystal magic weapon, which can be a nuisance
Thinking of pairing this spell up with Black Iron shield for when I fight Gwydolin.