|Health *||NG: 672|
|Souls *||NG: 500|
|* Recorded in PATCH 1.05|
Butcher is a Boss in Dark Souls.
"Burly butcher with a Sack on her head, wielding a big meat cleaver and a bloody wooden stake."
The Butchers are two enemies found in The Depths. Contrary to their androgynous/masculine appearance, the man-eating cooks of the Depths are female, as confirmed by the game's producer Miyazaki Hidetaka.
When you stumble across the Butchers, they are busy preparing lunch for the inhabitants, and you arrived just in time to get on the menu. There are two butchers, one is behind the butchers table, the other is hiding on a platform above the entrance to the room where Laurentius is trapped.
- One-two Cleaver swings: Their basic attack is a typical swing with their cleaver, it has medium range and can do quite the damage against light armored classes.
- Running swing: Holding the cleaver upright with one hand whilst running, then swings it at you. Causes knock-back when blocked and can knock you down outright if unblocked.
- One-hand chop: Holding the cleaver upright with one hand while crouching, then lunges forward and smashes it to the ground. Can track player position. Will knock you back if blocked, or knock you down outright if unblocked.
- Two-hand chop: Holding the cleaver with both hands and smashes it into the ground. Slow and easy to dodge. Causes knock-back when blocked, can knock you down outright if unblocked.
- Stake combo: A relatively quick but unblockable attack with the stake in their off-hand. If you are caught you'll be pinned to the ground, and they will follow it up with an unblockable cleaver chop while you are lying face down.
The first butcher can be defeated relatively easily with arrows or one of the Soul Arrow spells you can purchase from Griggs of Vinheim. To do this, sneak down the stairs and aggro the dog so that you don't have to deal with him. Back up the stairs and kill the dog in the "dining room" area. Then, shoot the butcher from the balcony here and slide to your left once they start coming for you. The butcher will fall into the water below. Go down the stairs and shoot them while they are in the water. You will always hit if you time a bow shot when they reach the top of the stairs. Slide left, up the stairs, to lure them off-course and back into the water. Repeat until they are dead. You can drop down for a plunging attack to finish them off if you're running low on spells or arrows, especially with the Giant Rat coming up before the next shrine.
Fighting the butchers is pretty straight forward. The problem is that several of their attacks can knock you to the ground, and they are also able to hit you while you are knocked down. Use the pillars to your advantage, or clear out the 'cafeteria' upstairs and fight there if you need more space to maneuver. Try to stay behind them and avoid their heavy attacks. The slow two-handed attack gives you plenty of time to get behind and backstab. The left handed stake-combo takes a good chunk of health if it connects, so take caution. Circle counter clockwise to avoid the stake up close, going clockwise can get you caught.
- 1,000 souls
- Sack [Generally dropped by the second butcher]
- The butcher knife they are wielding is dropped by Maneater Mildred, who also wears a sack on her head. She is believed to be another cook who's searching for more sources of meat. though was first added into the game as a reoccurring joke.