Magic Ascension in Dark Souls
|Magic Ascension will add Magic Damage that increases Intelligence scaling significantly on each upgrade level and Magic defense of the shields but reduces scaling for Strength and/or Dexterity.|
Magic Upgrades are a type of Upgrade in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. They enable players to "Ascend" weapons and shields in a specific path.
Magic Upgrade path and Requirements:
Magic Upgrades for weapon and shield are performed by Rickert of Vinheim, found in New Londo Ruins. The Large Magic Ember is only required to get the weapon up to +10, since Rickert of Vinheim already has the ember required to upgrade to Magic +5.
Note that each upgrade level requires a number of souls that varies depending on the weapon.
- Regular upgrade from +5 to Magic +0 requires Green Titanite Shard to ascend.
- Magic upgrade from +0 to +5 requires 9 Green Titanite Shards.
- Magic upgrade from +5 to +6 requires a Large Magic Ember and Blue Titanite Chunk to ascend.
- Magic upgrade from +5 to +9 requires 7 Blue Titanite Chunks.
- Magic upgrade from +9 to +10 requires a Blue Titanite Slab.
From 0 to +5
- Magic upgrade from 0 to +1 requires 1 Green Titanite Shard.
- Magic upgrade from +1 to +2 requires 1 Green Titanite Shard.
- Magic upgrade from +2 to +3 requires 2 Green Titanite Shards.
- Magic upgrade from +3 to +4 requires 2 Green Titanite Shards.
- Magic upgrade from +4 to +5 requires 3 Green Titanite Shards.
From +5 to +9
- Regular upgrade from +5 to +6 requires 1 Blue Titanite Chunk and a Large Magic Ember.
- Regular upgrade from +6 to +7 requires 1 Blue Titanite Chunk.
- Regular upgrade from +7 to +8 requires 2 Blue Titanite Chunks.
- Regular upgrade from +8 to +9 requires 3 Blue Titanite Chunks.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
it's very fun having to play through the whole game again because I missed a blue titanite slab in my first playthrough, and only found it in NG+ (and I can't beat O&S on NG++)
I have knight's honour but not the trophy for getting a +10 magic wpn AARGH!
Is the Longsworg gud with this path? I've used the longsword since the Undead Burg, and have beat the Gaping dragon with it. It's +5 rn, and I want to have a heavy pure mage (and a little pyromancy) build. Thanks!
So is a +0 elemental weapon still considered +5 for summon range calculations?
I like that NONE of this is explained in game and you have to either experiment and loose souls and mats on failed upgrade pathing or look it up online.........
I compared some weapons with magic vs enchanted and it seemed to make very little difference, even on high int levels.
Enchanted does however get slightly better above 40 int. Before that magic seems to be the way to go.
Any counterexamples would be much appreciated, I´m curious :)
For anyone who doesn't get it, this is Magic +10 VS Enchanted +5 in a nutshell to the best of my understanding. Magic +10 is better on builds that focus on semi-high INT while also having decent dex/str (basically a magic/physical quality build). Enchanted is for builds that rely primarily on doing damage through high INT as it completely tanks physical scaling but sends your INT scaling through the roof.
So this upgrade path is unlocked later than enchanted in the game and is worth less? Why does it exist like really
You need the Large Magic Ember not the Large Ember. It's in a chest in the room where Seath first kills you.