Equip Load in Dark Souls , also known as Equip Burden, is a game mechanic that controls the impact of the total weight carried on movement speed, rolling and Stamina regeneration.
Equipped consumable items, ammunition and spells will not contribute to equip weight.
When talking about Equip Load a concept often used is Encumbrance or Encumbrance Level. Encumbrance is the percentage of max Equip Load currently used (for example at 20 of 80 Equip Load, Encumbrance is 25%)
Equip Load is primarily governed by Endurance, increasing linearly up to 139 at 99 Endurance (no soft cap; see table below).
Equip Load can also be increased by utilizing some items:
- Havel's Ring increases max equip load by 50%.
- Ring of Favor and Protection increases max equip load by 20%.
- Mask of the Father increases max equip load by 5%.
The items stack multiplicative, for a total of 89% increase to Equip Load when all three are worn (150% * 120% * 105% = 189%).
Endurance/Equip Load Table
- The roll and run speed of the player will vary with the amount of equipped weight.
- Encumbrance Level and armor also affects the speed of your stamina regeneration. With higher Encumbrance Levels, Stamina regeneration is reduced.
- Some Armor pieces reduce Stamina regeneration even further (up to -5 per second for full sets). See the Stamina page for details.
|from||to||Running speed||i-frames||Total Frames||Stamina Regeneration Penalty||Notes|
|0%||maximum||13||21||0||often referred to as "fast roll"|
|25%||33.3%||medium||11||?||0||often referred to as "medium roll" or "mid roll"|
|50.1%||100%||slow||9||46||-20%||often referred to as "slow roll" or "fat roll"|
|100%+||walking only||rolling impossible||-30%||overencumbered|
- Patch 1.05 increased the base equip burden by 6 points. Giving exactly 80 at 40 endurance. The patch also changed how the different burden loads were calculated. Before when your equip weight ≥ 25%/50%/100% then you would hit the next burden level, now it is equip weight > 25%/50%/100% that you hit the next bracket. Which is more logical and likely a typo in the original code. There's still a few instances where your equip weight is exactly on the break point, but will still give the movement of the weight class above; this is probably due to some decimal rounding error in the code.
- Patch 1.06 decreased the percentage of Mask of the Father from 15 to 5%. It also changed the Dark Wood Grain Ring to only function below 25% equip weight.