|Deals low poison damage in a period of time within three minutes (Poison lasts until cured, expired or death)|
Poison is a gameplay mechanic in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. It is a debuff status effect and one of the auxiliary special effects and a damage type.
- Deals low poison damage in a period of time within three minutes (Poison lasts until cured, expired or death).
- Leveling up Resistance increases Poison resist. However, leveling up any other stat will add points to the player's Poison resistance as well.
When exposed to either Poison or Toxin, a build-up bar will appear at the middle of the screen.
- The size of the bar is decided by the current amount of resistance.
- If the exposure stops, the bar will slowly decrease.
- The bar will continue to fill with repeated exposure.
- The ailment will take effect when the bar is full.
- Build-up can also be treated in the same ways as ailments are cured.
Once poisoned or intoxicated, health will be lost at a steadily pace, the concerned bar will slowly decrease and cannot be refilled until it's fully emptied.
- Different sources of infection will have varying potency.
- Poison has a duration of 180 seconds (3 minutes) if untreated.
- Toxic has a duration of 600 seconds (10 minutes) if untreated.
- Toxic duration when infected by blow-dart snipers is only 180 seconds (3 minutes).
- Both effects cut healing from Miracles and Estus Flasks in half, Divine Blessing, Humanity and Ring of the Evil Eye are not affected.
Equipment, Items, and Spells that increase Poison Resistance
- Light Armors
- Medium Armors
- Heavy armor sets
Equipment, Items, and Spells that cause Poison
- Weapons with Poison Auxiliary Effect
- Poison Arrows - (3 HP/s)
Creatures and Environments that cause Poison
- Giant Mosquitos in Blighttown - (9 HP/s)
- Infested Barbarians (club) in Blighttown - (7 HP/s)
- Giant Leeches in Blighttown - (?? HP/s)
- Infested Ghouls in Blighttown - (?? HP/s)
- Sewer Rats in Undead Burg and the Depths - (9 HP/s)
- Tree Lizards in Darkroot Garden - (10 HP/s)
- Blighttown Swamp - (4HP/s. Build-up 25/s)
- Lost Izalith Sewer - (4HP/s)
- Poison and toxin don't stop at the last moment, if it can kill you, it will.
- Poison is more of a problem with low vitality characters. Just keep an eye on your health meter, and drink up when it starts getting low if you don't have a cure.
- Poison can be flat-out ignored with the Spider Shield and Shadow Set.
- Poison and Toxin mostly share the same resistance, but they each have their own bar to be filled.
- You can be poisoned and toxic at the same time.
- Having more poison/toxin resistance allows to take more hits before the effect kicks in as well as very slightly reducing damage taken by said effects.
- Poison and toxin resistance is upgraded by the resistance stat, Poisonbite Ring, most armor pieces and some weapons.