The Tomb of the Giants is a Location in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. A very dark Tomb located below The Catacombs full of giant skeletons. To make it easier to navigate it recommend that you follow our walthrough by exploring Anor Londo and Lost Izalith before coming here. And obtaining the Skull Lantern, Sunlight Maggot (Lost Izalith), or the spell cast light so that it is possible to see, as the area is full of treacherous falls.
Tomb of the Giants Map
(Work in progress!)
NPCs in the area
- Twin Humanities
- Large Soul of a Lost Undead
- Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier
- Large Soul of a Proud Knight
- Large Soul of a Lost Undead
- Gold Pine Resin
- Charcoal Pine Resin
- Purple Moss Clump
- Blooming Purple Moss Clump
- Soul of a Nameless Soldier
- Egg Vermifuge
- Divine Blessing
- Repair Powder
- Transient Curse
Weapons, Spells & Armor
- Skull Lantern
- Covetous Silver Serpent Ring
- Effigy Shield
- Mask of the Father
- Mask of the Mother
- Mask of the Child
- Black Knight Shield
- Black Knight Greatsword
- Black Knight Halberd
- Black Knight Sword
- Dung Pie
- Prism Stone
- Copper Coin
- Gold Coin
- Silver Coin
- Large Divine Ember
- Red Titanite Chunk
- Titanite Chunk
- Twinkling Titanite
- White Titanite Chunk
- Green Titanite Shard
- Large Titanite Shard
- Demon Titanite
- Dragon Scale
- Blue Titanite Chunk
Keys & Other
Full Tomb of the Giants Walkthrough
Things to come
It is not recommended to enter this area unless you have obtained the Lordvessel from Anor Londo, otherwise you will not be able to complete or access all of the area. In addition, the Tombs of Giants should only be explored by those with a Soul Level of at least 55-60, to avoid noobie frustration.
There are a total of 2 Bonfires, at about 1/3 and 2/3 through the area.
If you may have noticed, as you're leaving Pinhead's Lair at the end of The Catacombs, on your right you'll notice the almost complete absence of light with Prism Stones used to show a path. It would make a lot more sense to venture the Tomb of the Giants with at least one of the following: the spell Cast Light, the Sunlight Maggot, or a Skull Lantern.
However if you have a death wish, and don't mind not being able to see anything, you can still make your way through the main areas here by following the placed Prism Stones carefully to avoid falling, and generally watching out for the pairs of white glowing eyes that indicate a giant skeleton. But for the sake of thoroughness, I will assume you've acquired a light source.
Entering the darkness
Into The Black - Your goal when first entering the Tomb of the Giants is to reach the bonfire. The good news is that there is a bonfire right after defeating Pinwheel, the bad news is that it's extinguished, for good. Traversing this area will be much easier if you have the spell Cast Light, the Sunlight Maggot or a Skull Lantern, to light up your surroundings as you enter the darkness.
Slide Into The Black - Upon climbing the two set of ladders to leave Pinwheel's lair, instead of looping round the path, head right; and follow the Prism Stones, across the first coffin (yes that's what they are), you'll find the extinguished bonfire. Hug the right wall going forward, and you will encounter the first Giant Skeleton. You have a bit of room to navigate, so don't worry too much about falling off the ledge. After dispatching him, follow the path down and you'll come to find a Prism Stone at the base of a coffin slanting downwards into the darkness. Man up, and slide down. Before continuing onto the next slanting coffin directly in front of you, you can turn right to find another Giant Skeleton and a Large Soul of a Proud Knight. It's a good idea to kill him because he may drop down on you once you continue your descent.
At the bottom of the coffin, two Giant Skeleton will be waiting to attack. You will also be fired at by some arrows from the darkness to your left. If you aren't confident in your ability to quickly take out the first Giant Skeleton before the second attacks, to make it an easy 1-on-1, the best way to survive this particular ledge is by heading straight to your right, and rolling past the skeletons onto another coffin-slide. It's likely that you'll die here until you get the hang of exactly where to go, but take heart!
Bonfire Uno - As you slide down this third coffin-slide, you can move to the right, as you begin the descent, to slide off-course and pick up the Humanity on the corpse on the ledge, then drop down to the end of the slide. Here you'll find Patches the Hyena to your right - ignore him for now - and a ladder straight ahead, next to a pile of giant bones, that will lead down to a small ledge with the bonfire; this is the first of the two in the area, the second being closer to the boss, Nito. Now that you have a checkpoint within the Tomb, you can feel free to explore around a bit. The first thing you should do is acquire the Skull Lantern. The easiest way to do this is to talk to Patches the Hyena; you can read up on him to see what he offers after this area.
Bottom of the Area
Judas - Answer NO when he asks if you are a cleric to avoid making him hostile on your next encounter, and tell you about a treasure he's found down the hole to his right. Walk over to the Prism Stone and it will trigger a cinematic of him kicking you off the edge, down into the area below. Yes it's a bit of **** move, but it's actually a good thing because you will find yourself next to three corpses with items: 2 Large Soul of a Proud Knight, and most importantly if you've made it this far without a light source, the Skull Lantern.
Damsel In Distress - From your position when you land, you can explore around the right side and you'll find the NPC Reah of Thorolund, whose cleric companions have gone hollow. Continuing along the same direction will lead you to the hollows; although they may not seem like it, they put up a decent enough fight so don't underestimate them. Return to Reah to obtain the Miracle: Replenishment.
Ways To Go - If you follow the wall from speaking to Reah, you'll come across a split, head right for now to find an item on a ramping ledge. This item is a White Titanite Chunk, and picking it up will incite aggro of Bone Towers. They don't have a lot of sustainability and will crumble with one strong melee attack but as they have a slam attack and a thrash attack, both of which do substantial damage, it would also not be such a bad idea to deal with them at range. Return to the split, and follow the other path, which leads towards a ladder. After climbing that ladder, and whack the clear faux wall in front of you, and you'll find a fork.
- Left - Be wary of the Giant Skeleton Archers! This area can be difficult, but the Giant Skeletons have a short agro range, and the his area can be difficult, but the Archers have a short agro range, and the Archers won't be able to hit some areas. After destroying the bones in the way, continue and drop into the square hole (continuing on the walkway above, past the giant coffin will bring you back to the start of the area where you fought Pinwheel and will allow you to nab the item on the body that you probably saw up and to the right for the very first Prism Stone). Congratulations, you are inside a giant coffin. You'll find yourself on a ledge above the bottom of the coffin, where 6 Giant Skeletons are lying in wait for you, as well as a dead blacksmith with a Large Divine Ember and a corpse with a Soul of a Brave Warrior. Once you drop down the hole, make a running jump over the ladder leading down to the skeletons, and continue along the ledge around the inside of the coffin. Once you reach the other side, you should be able to target the skeletons below you, toss some fireballs/chaos fireballs/firebombs etc to thin out their numbers and get some easy souls and the loot below. Alternatively, you can go for a suicide run.
- Right - This path will lead you back to Patches the Hyena, and the bonfire. Talk to Patches, and if you choose to give your forgiveness, he will present himself as a merchant, later on.
From Patches, continue to his right, and find a path that leads to a fog wall and your first encounter with a Skeleton Dog.
There are several of these quadrupedal monsters in the following area, and so, here are a few tips and notes on them:
- Only found in the Tomb of the Giants
- They have very low health.
- They deal very high damage.
- The main danger of these enemies lies in their forward flurry attack that has significant range and seems to ignore all armor other than shield (need confirmation, but regardless the damage is insane). It is sometimes possible to block all the damage from this attack (eating most of your stamina) by facing at the right angle with your shield up, but it seems that the attack can sometimes reach around the shield, dealing very heavy damage.
- If your stamina is not full, or if your shield/endurance/poise are not up to par, this attack can easily drain your stamina or simply knock away your shield; if the flurry is not finished when you are left exposed, you will almost certainly die.
- They will rear up when they are about to leap at you to perform this attack, so try to back up and keep your shield raised.
- The best strategy to adopt in facing them is to minimize time spent fighting them; they have relatively low hp, so killing them quickly is feasible and necessary, even if it means eating a few of the Dog's minor hits.
- Anothereffective strategy is to pull them using a powerful ranged Pyromancy (Fire Orb etc), after which you should be able to take them out in 1 or 2 hits.
- Another way to deal with them is to move around them and attack them from the rear, they take too long to turn around. However be careful not to fall off, since you will mostly find them in narrow corridors and the low visibility only makes things worse.
- Alternatively, equipping the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring (found in Sen's Fortress) reduces the agro range of the Dogs to the point where most dogs can simply be avoided by running past them. This makes traveling between the first bonfire and the location of the golden fog door, considerably easier.
Through the Fog Gate
Lotta Enemies - Note that, by traversing this fog gate, you've essentially walked into an arena as there are several Skeleton Dogs, a Giant Skeleton Archer, and a Black Knight. The best thing to do once you're through the fog is to take only a few steps, and prepare to fight the Black Knight, who comes up from a ramp on the left; you should do your best to steer clear of any Dogs, as to not make your job harder than it already is. Continue forward to face a Skeleton Dog, and once you deal with him, proceed to the Archer on the left, picking up the Soul of a Brave Warrior on a corpse behind him. Turn around and proceed to the undiscovered small area on the right to find another Dog. Next to him, you'll find an opening on the ground that divides in two:
- Right - Follows a long and thin walkway leading to the Effigy Shield , at the end of it.
- Left - A ramp down that leads to a small area. Immediately you'll see the Skeleton Dog, and a Giant Skeleton - kill them. Continue hugging the wall, down another ramp, to the second bonfire. It is highly recommended that you kindle this bonfire, as you are 2/3 away from the boss.
Snake Ring - Head back and up the ramp, turning right, to reach the area where you killed the giant Skeleton Archer. You should find the corpse you looted prior, laying cliffside. Destroy the bones and debris behind it so you can get a proper run up, and jump off as demonstrated below, and you should land on the correct platform, without issue.
Continue until you see a corpse with loot in the middle on the area - Covetous Silver Serpent Ring. However, know that as soon as you pick it up, a trap that surrounds you with Bone Towers , will be triggered (great place to farm White Titanite Chunks).
Once you get the ring, return to where you landed, and face the direction you jumped from. Below, is the area you jumped from. You'll notice an area with a slope, jump onto it. There are 3 ways you can go at this point: to your right is the bonfire, go left on the high road to be back at the area with the Skeleton Dog, and a Giant Skeleton, Going left, on the low road, will lead to an area with an White Titanite Chunk from a corpse in an alcove, 3 Skeleton Dogs ahead slightly to the left, plus an additional Skeleton Dog, and a Giant Skeleton from the highroad area, if you ignored it earlier.
Out of the Darkness
Finding The Light - From the same direction you entered, take the ramp on the right down. At the break of this ramp, turn around and into the little hole under the ramp to find another corpse with Soul of a Brave Warrior. Turn around once again, and continue down the bottom of the ramp. Here you should find a short ladder going down. From there, continue down the ledge, and eventually you'll exit the pitch black of the Tomb of the Giants -before you go through with this, make sure you are in your human form, to save you the unnecessary backtracking.
Death Of Leeroy - Enter the opening on the right of the mountain, and kill the Crystal Lizard trying to escape. Do this quickly as you will be invaded by the Black Phantom Paladin (if you are in human form). After defeating him, and making sure you don't knock him off the ledge, you will receive: Grant, Sanctus Shield , 2 Humanity, and 20,000~ Souls. You can also find his complete Paladin Armor Set [confirm name] after you defeat the boss in its arena. If you do accidentally knock him off, you may be able to get his drops by quitting and re-loading the game.
Boxed In - Now continue into the cave (only accessible after lowering the golden fog gate by placing the Lordvessel) killing the two Bone Towers along the way. Be careful when dealing with the second, as he retreats to the floor, exposing the Archer behind him. While the best course of action is to rush him and kill him ASAP, make note of the Giant Skeleton hiding behind the corner, and the fact that the Bone Tower that previously retreated, will emerge again in an attempt to box you in. Once they're dealt with, proceed further into the cave.
Room Of Chaos - This room is almost like a mini boss with the multiple Pinwheels, and infinite toxic Skeleton Babies. The best strategy in this chaos is to avoid getting swarmed by the Skeleton Babies, while dodging the ranged attacks of the Pinwheels, closing down on each of them as you go; do not stop moving. There are also a few invaluable goodies to pick up from here, including different high-end soul items and, a **White Titanite Slab** on a hidden corpse in the left corner, you will notice a hole in the wall.
- ALTERNATE METHOD OF DEALING WITH THE PINWHEEL COPIES: The Pinwheels can be taken down with Standard Arrows & Longbow+14. Dex 29 Str 24 - only took 4 shots and each shot stuns the Pinwheel so they don't have time to get their fireball charged. Using this method, one can draw the attention of the Pinwheels individually, to minimize danger. - Gregor Lenko 03/10/12
Biggest, Baddest, Bone - After exploring the room enough, you should have come across a pile of wood atop a slope. Break through this wood to reveal the fog gate to reach the boss of the Tomb of the Giants.
Big Boss: Gravelord Nito
FARMING: Also note that, although the Baby Skeletons only yield 121 souls apiece (First Playthrough, with overkill bonus; which is almost a guarantee since they have less than 60 HP each)(174 souls with Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and and Symbol of Avarice; 3 times 20%), this is an excellent place to farm for souls due to their infinite respawning. Also, with 410 Item discovery (using the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and a humanity of 10 or more), they drop Humanity fairly regularly. Make sure to bring some blooming purple moss clumps in case they toxify you, and a weapon with a wide sweeping attack (Gravelord Sword, Battle Axe, etc.), so you can take out a lot of them with every swing. Make sure to pick up anything they drop as fast as possible though, as they fade fairly quickly due to their respawn rate (items WILL fade in just the brief amount of time it takes to swing your weapon once more, just to put into perspective how fast they will go away). In about two hours, this user racked up an astonishing 400,000 souls and 130 Humanities.
- Another alternative if you don't mind dying a few times to figure out the route and missing out on some soul items is simply equipping the lantern and run past everything.
- Starting from where Patches stay right past the first dog, after the fog door run towards the skeletal archer and roll straight off the ledge where the item is. You will land on a platform which leads towards the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring. Unless you really want it face directly behind you and roll off the ledge again.
- Following the right path will lead you the second bonfire. When heading to the left make sure to hug the right wall and keep heading down until you see the hole with the ladder in it which leads out of the dark area. Most skeletal dogs that do follow you will most likely to fall off and die. However, on a rare occasion one might follow all the way to where Paladin Leeroy spawns, so take a minute to make sure its clear.
- Once you master this route it will make any successive trip to the Tomb of the Giants much quicker.
Notes & Trivia:
- Tomb of the Giants comes from DeS' Shrine of Storms. It later inspired The Undead Crypt and The Carthus Catacombs.