Engorged Hollow (Zombie) is an Enemy in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. Enemies are hostile creatures that respawn when players rest at a Bonfire or upon death. Special enemies that do not respawn are classified as Bosses, Mini Bosses or Invaders.
Engorged Hollow (Zombie) Information
Engorged Hollows (Zombie) are Hollows with tumorous toxic growths in place of heads. They use fire-based attacks and can be deadly if not dealt with swiftly. If not killed with a fire or chaos-buffed weapon, they release a cloud of toxin upon death that will drain the player's health over a short amount of time.
- Toxin Spew
- Torch Swing
- Toxin Spew (upon death)
- They can shoot fire at long range and close range, they also spew toxin when you are near them, and when they die they splatter toxin on the player if he/she is too close to the area that the hollow died so be careful of killing them head-on with a short reach weapon. They do not have much health, and have no means of blocking damage, so are best to just be dealt with and get them out of the way, as they can become a nuisance otherwise. A few hits with anything will just about do the trick, but long reach weapons work best. Back-stabbing is also a very good idea because the poison does not spew out until they finish their death animation giving the player ample time to retreat. I have found they are easily killed by lightning spears, gives the reach and extra damage, such as the Dragonslayer Spear.
- Fire weapons prevent these enemies from releasing their toxin when you kill them.
- The 'fire' they shoot is actually a magic-based attack, so a shield with high magic resistance is recommended.
|Painted World of Ariamis||330||517||400||800||Yes|
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Engorged zombies drop the Fire Surge pyromancy in addition to the 400 souls. Someone please add it to the information.
The f***ing idiotic poison f***ing cloud is f***ing re***ded!!! Such a f***ing terrible game!!!
In case some of you are curious to what the health loss numbers are like when using different shields against their "fire" (lolmagic) attacks, I tested this last night. These values are based on my level, stats, and gear, so yours will differ. But what's important is the relative values.
Health lost from ranged fire attacks:
216 - Balder
189 - Heater
189 - Target
179 - Dragon Crest
162 - Gargoyle
156 - Knight
156 - Grass Crest
121 - Eagle
100 - Cracked Round
078 - Caduceus Round
078 - Red and White Round
054 - Crest Shield (tested twice)
044 - Crest Shield (tested twice)
I'm not sure why I received different values for the Crest Shield.
I started testing this because I felt like I was taking too much damage with my Dragon Crest Shield and wanted to see how much worse every other shield would do. At the time, I did not know that the "fire" damage was actually magic damage. Of course I found this out on my way out.
Even though some of this was mentioned in other comments, I want to share my specific methods for killing them:
1) Backstabs with Drake Sword +5.
2) Crossbows +5 (light & heavy) in off-hand for killing blow with standard bolts after 2 melee attacks with sword. Helps if your main melee attack is not strong enough to kill. I tried 2H stronger weapons and keeping them at range, but still sometimes became toxic.
3) Fire Surge Pyromancy while I spin around them. No toxic explosion on death.
Just raise your shield and run past these guys. Dont waste your time or risk getting toxic.
I got an item from the engorged zombie fire surge.
i hate them, the look funny at a first glance but on closer inspection they look disgusting
Fact! If you kill them with a backstab or a parry , they will not toxify you.
Black Knight Sword works amazingly with these. 1HR2-attack has such a strong push, that if there's enough room behind the hollow, it will just fly back and explode at a safe distance from you.
Maybe its just me, but even with fire they still explode into a toxic cloud upon death. This is on Remastered btw.
Of course the "fire" they shoot is magic-based, duh. Why would a fireball do fire damage, silly players.
pro tip: backstab so that you dont have to deal with the toxic clouds when they die :)
I get swarmed by black phantom ones. Does this happen to anyone else.