Phalanx is an Enemy in Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered. Enemies are hostile creatures that respawn when players rest at a Bonfire or upon death. Special enemies that do not respawn are classified as Bosses, Mini Bosses or Invaders.
A large group of 13 individual disfigured, human-like blobs that only appear as guards in the final courtyard in the Painted World of Ariamis, carrying spears and Large Leather Shields. They resemble the Phalanx boss from Demon's Souls. They are particularly susceptible to slash and fire attacks Slow and easily handled individually - the danger here is their large number and stubborn defense, but they are easily sidestepped and attacked from behind.
- Spear Lunge
- Spear Hurl
- Spear Swipe
The only way that these guys pose much of a threat is if you charge out into the middle of them and try to kill them in melee one by one. There's a large barricade of crates between the entrance to the courtyard and where they're clustered; it's much safer to hide behind the crates and wait for them to come to you. As they turn the corner, they'll leave their sides exposed, and you can easily stab them to death then. Once you've cleared out most of them, the stragglers can be handled without fear of getting randomly skewered.
- Near where the Phalanxes spawn there are three large metal cubes in the snow. Take cover behind these while luring them out one by one, attacking them as their soft flesh becomes exposed. They are weak to fire, and in general, from the rear. Another good strategy is to approach them from behind the cubes and let off a poison or toxic mist trying to get all of them affected (you usually can). You may have to cast another mist but after waiting a couple of minutes you will have killed all of them with little to no bloodshed. Remember to switch to a shield right after casting!
- When entering the area where you fight them, be wary of the Spear Hurl attack. Quite often any hesitation will cause you to be peppered with spears, which will make short work of your block - even with a greatshield. Stay on your toes and get to cover ASAP.
- Another strategy is to run right at the cluster then throw down a fire orb, killing 4-5 then rolling around the cluster of them and continuing the process (as they have slow turn speed) until few of them remain, then I melee the rest.
- First equip either Ring of Fog or Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring. Stand behind the three stone blocks on the right side. There is a gap in the blocks, while walking towards the pillar cast Chaos Storm (don't stop walking, when the spell eventually casts, you will stop) and 90 - 95% of the Phalanx will be dead, kill the rest.
- Use a two handed power attack of moonlight greatsword it just destroys them in clusters.
- Using magic makes things even easier. Charging in and hitting them with Wrath of the Gods will take them all out with little fuss, allowing you to very quickly farm an obscene amount of souls by running back to the bonfire. Lobbing spells like Fire Orb or gassing them with Toxic Mist will also get the job done.
- With the door open you can easily run back and forth between kills to easily net over 8k souls with Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and The Symbol of Avarice.
- Weapons such as the Dragon tooth and Dragon Greatsword or any high weapon that nets a high enough damage threshold to break the guards of more than one of them at a time make excellent additions for soul farming .(provided you have the strength to use them)
- The equipment that I recommend and that I use, are heavy hitting weapons that fall into the Ultra Greatswords category to bash past the Phalanx's defenses (other weapons are fine, this is just a recommendation). Armour isn't really much of a concern here. I do heavily recommend a strong Pyromancy Flame, and that you use Fire Tempest or Chaos Storm. For the final pieces of equipment (this is optional, it will just bag you a lot more souls), I really recommend that you use the Symbol of Avarice (this can be easily obtained following the guide given on the page) and the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring (also easily obtained following the guide on the page). These two items will increase your souls earned by 44%! Now for the technique. Rest at the first bonfire in the Painted World, and equip all the recommended items. Next, run forward and use your sword to easily take out the Zombie and precede through the gateway (explore the level a bit if it's shut, it's easy to open from the other side). You should see the Phalanxes now. Now run, or walk, forward towards them. As your doing this (you might need to time this, otherwise you could die if you're at a lower level) use Fire Tempest or Chaos Storm when you're close enough. This should kill most of them, however, it's unlikely that they'll all die, so use your melee (or your weapon of chose) to finish off the rest. Now they're all dead, make a short run back to the bonfire to repeat the process! You should receive a HUGE amount of souls from a short space of time. If you're not using the ring or symbol, then you'll receive 6500 (13000 in NG+). However with the ring and the symbol, it will be 9360 (18720 NG+)! This can be done in just under a min almost every time!
|Painted World of Ariamis||335||525||500||1000||Yes|